Transform's Excel integration is an add-on for desktop versions of Excel that allows you to pull your defined metrics and dimensions from Transform directly into Excel using a custom menu.
- Transform instance and API key for authentication
- Desktop version of Excel
- Ability to install add-ons to Excel instance
- Navigate to the Integrations Page in Transform
- Click the Excel modal and download the extension to your computer.
- Click into the folder and run
- After the installation is complete, open up Excel and create an empty workbook.
- Find the "Add-ins" Tab in the Excel Ribbon (above the cells)
- Click the Transform logo to open the query panel. This will open up a custom Transform menu on the right-hand side
- Authenticate the extension with your Transform API key
Using the Add-In
After authentication, you should see a custom menu that has various selections including the ability to select metrics, dimensions, constraints, time granularity, time over time comparisons, limit, and order. Metrics will be listed by their display names as specified in the definition. Dimensions will be listed with their fully scoped name, which includes a prefix with a double underscore and the identifier of the data source the dimension comes from (e.g., customer__country).
Select the cell in which you want the data to populate in, make the selections in the menu, and press "Run Query". The data you selected will populate in the chosen cell.
When you select multiple metrics, we will show only dimensions that are common between them, so we can group and create the dataset in a table format.
When using a constraint with a metric, it must reference the metric name as defined in Transform's model, not the display name that the extension shows. You can access the Transform UI to find the metric name. Using dimension names in constraint also require the fully scoped name, which matches the menu selection.
Transform APIs currently support calculating time over time for one metric. In the custom menu, this option will not be able to be selected when multiple metrics are selected.
Upgrading the Add-In
- Download the new version of the Add-in
- Go to System > Settings > Add or remove programs
- Find the Add-in in the list of installed programs
- Uninstall the Add-in
- Install the new version using setup.exe as before and restart Excel.
If the Add-ins tab isn't visible after installation, it is possible that the Transform add-in isn’t enabled.
- To enable the add-in, go to File > Options > Add-ins
- There’s a field at the bottom of the menu called “Manage”. Select “COM Add-ins”, and press “Go” (Note: because we’re using the legacy framework for backwards compatibility, “Excel Add-ins” will not work).
- This will bring up a checklist of extensions, one of which should be the Transform add-in (currently called “Transform Excel”)
- Enable the Transform add-in and hit “Ok”. The Add-ins tab should appear, and you should be able to access the query panel
If you can’t find the extension in the Add-ins menu, try re-running the setup.exe or reach out to a Transform contact via firstname.lastname@example.org.